If you have been following my Eat Yourself Healthy In 28 Days, program you will know that rice is not really your friend if your goal is to lose weight. But I’ll always offer a healthier substitute, for any food I recommend you avoid, so you will never feel deprived! One of the best substitutes for high starch mashed potato or rice, is this delicious low carb cauliflower rice! It takes just minutes to make, tastes delicious and is so versatile you will never notice the difference! You can make this as either a vegetarian option or toss in some chicken for extra protein. You can even make the cauliflower rice up on its own, and serve as a tasty side for my lemon herb chicken, lamb shanks or casseroles. Feel free to throw in any vegetable of your choice, because its the sort of dish you can throw in whatever veges you have on hand. This is a great dish for cooking up extra to keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, for those nights you don’t feel like cooking, oh…. and did I mention kids LOVE it!
What you’ll need…
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tsp. sesame oil
- 1 diced red onion
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 julienned large carrot
- ¾ cup of julienned snow peas or peas
- Rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- 1 – 2Tbsp black sesame seeds
- ½ cup toasted slithered almonds or pine nuts
- 2 – 4 Tbsp fresh herbs – flat leaf parsley, coriander / cilantro or basil leaves
How to make…
- Steam Cauliflower until just soft – being careful to avoid over cooking, or it will turn to mush.
- Allow to cool slightly and transfer to a food processor with 1 Tbsp of organic butter or olive oil, seasoning with generously with salt and pepper and pulse cauliflower florets until finely chopped.
- Heat coconut and sesame oil in a large deep sided fry pan or wok, over medium heat. Add the diced red onion and minced garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until tender – about 6 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets, carrot, snow peas or peas and or zucchini and cook, stirring, until just tender – about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and rind, sesame and pumpkin seeds, nuts and fresh herbs
- Transfer to the large mixing bowl with the cauliflower rice and mix to combine, adding a little extra olive oil, salt and pepper if required.
Add grilled chicken to this dish for a hit of protein.
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to two days.