Gluten free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Anti Candida, Diabetic Friendly, Low Carb, High protein
When fresh figs are in season I admit I am addicted, which means I find ways to get them into as many recipes as possible! I created this fresh fig and nut stuffing one day as alternative to traditional chicken stuffing that contain gluten from the bread crumbs and high sugar dried apricots!. I swear this stuffing mix is so yummy, you may find yourself eating half of it before you stuff it into the chook, like I did! This stuffing recipe is grain free and made from 100% fresh ingredients, oh and if you’re following my Eat Yourself Healthy program’ I recommend this recipe after week two, when you’re ok to reintroduce animal protein. Remember to use an organic chicken as we want to avoid those nasty antibiotics and GMO feed!
What you’ll need…
- One organic chicken
- Ghee, macadamia or coconut oil – to baste the chicken with
- Himalayan or sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
For the stuffing…
- 3/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped herbs, eg: flat leaf parsley, mint, thyme 3/4
- 1/3 cup fennel tops
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup mixed raw nuts – unsalted – you can use any nuts that you have handy but I chose:
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup pistachio’s (or pine nuts would also make a lovely addition)
- 1 -2 fresh figs, chopped (or use dried figs if they are not in season, I prefer the wild figs).
- 1 Tbsp. goats feta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive or macadamia oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper to taste
How to make…
- Roughly chop your fresh herbs and add to a medium mixing bowl along with the goats feta, figs, lemon juice and rind, oil and salt and pepper
- Add your mixed nuts to a mortar and pestle or food processor and grind to small chunks and add to the herb mix
- Combine ingredients with your hands.
- Place stuffing mix into the bottom of the chicken, until it is full, be sure to pack the chicken firmly with the stuffing mix.
- Lightly grease a baking tray with oil and place chicken onto the tray.
- Baste the chicken skin with coconut oil and season with salt and pepper and a extra lemon rind.
- Bake in a pre heated moderate oven – 180 C for approximately 30 – 45 minutes or until skin is golden brown.
- Cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken and oven speed.
- Serve with freshly steamed green vegetables -such as asparagus, beans and broccoli, drizzle with a little olive oil and or a green salad